Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Comfort and the Challenge of Scripture

This morning I was sitting on the back porch of the house we are staying in this week for a family reunion. I was listening to birds sing and reading scripture. Sounds like the start of a great week!
As I was reading, here is a verse that brought joy to me as I read it:

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

I am so glad the Lord is not finished with me yet. He is patient and kind. He is full of mercy. He keeps pruning areas of my life and making me more of what I should be for His glory. I am thankful He has not given up on me yet.

Scripture often encourages us, comforts us, and brings joy to our lives.

As I kept reading, I came to this verse, which really challenged me:

"Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel." Philippians 1:27

I want to live a life worthy of being called "Christian." I want Jesus to return and catch me doing right instead of wrong. I want to be a team player, standing side by side with other believers standing firm in the gospel. I often fail at those things, but they are my goals.

We need scripture to being both joy and challenges to our faith. We need comfort and we need motivation to change. Scripture provides all of that when we let the Spirit use it to speak to our hearts.

These challenges from scripture motivate me to rest more in the gospel and trust His continued work of grace in my life to finish what He started and help me be worthy of the calling He has given me.

What do they say to you?

Dr. Terry W. Dorsett has served as a pastor, church planter, author and denominational leader in New England since 1993. He is the proud father of three adult children, a cancer survivor and the author of 8 books. You can find all of his books at http://www.amazon.com/Dr.-Terry-W.-Dorsett/e/B00405U4NY

No comments:

Post a Comment