Saturday, September 26, 2015

A Simple Process for Experiencing Revival

Psalm 119:15-16 “I will meditate on Your precepts and think about Your ways. I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.”

When I was 13, my 8th grade Sunday School teacher taught our class how to have a daily quiet time with God. This included time for Bible reading, prayer and then reflection on what we read. She gave personal testimony of how her own daily quiet time gave her strength for the day and often helped her find answers for problems she was facing. She assured us that this was the normal way all Christians started their day.

It made sense to me so I decided to start having a daily quiet time as well. Like my 8th grade Sunday School teacher, I can testify that it has sustained me through many challenges in my life. I am thankful for a Sunday School teacher who taught me something so simple and yet so life changing.

The one thing that my Sunday School teacher taught us that turned out to be incorrect, was that this was the normal way all Christians started their day. I am sure she thought it was an accurate statement, but after nearly 25 years of ministry, it becomes clear to me that many Christians skip this important part of their day. This is reflected by the lack of biblical knowledge that even those who have been Christians for decades have. It is reflected by how we interact with each other as Christians in daily life. It is reflected in our conversations with each other, which are about so many things, but seldom about what the Lord is showing us in scripture. It is reflected in the lack of holy passion in our corporate worship, which can only come from a strong time of private worship.

If we want revival to come to America again, perhaps we might return to a simple lesson we learned in Sunday School so long ago, let us start each day with a daily quiet time. A few minutes of Bible reading, prayer and reflection can change our lives. If millions of lives are changed a little each day, that impacts the broader church, indeed, it impacts the broader culture.


Lord, call us back to simply spending time with You each day! Amen.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Terry W. Dorsett has been a pastor, church planter, denominational leader and author in New England for more than 20 years. He is a happy husband, a proud father and adoring grandfather. He is a cancer survivor and believes that God works powerfully through times of suffering. He writes extensively and you can find all of his books at:

No comments:

Post a Comment