Sunday, August 6, 2017

Uncovering the Mystery of Faith

Reza Aslan is an author who writes books about religion and is also the host of Believer, a television series that explores the mysteries of faith. He grew up in Tehran during the Iranian Revolution. Though his family was not particularly religious at the time, he said “those childhood images of revolutionary Iran seared themselves into my consciousness and left me with a lifelong interest in trying to understand what and why people believe.” Knowing how terrible the Iranian Revolution was, we can only imagine what those images must have been like. Without question, it permanently impacted Aslan’s view of religion, and I suspect it would have had a similar effect on any of us who experienced such horror.

In a recent article on faith that was published in the American Way magazine, Aslan said “I have tried to uncover the mystery of faith by immersing myself in it.” He has traveled the world and taken part in a wide variety of religious experiences. He has concluded that we are all “bound together by a desire to connect with something more, something beyond this material world.” Though Aslan and I  disagree on many aspects of theology, this is one thing that he and I most surely agree on. Like Aslan, I believe that all people have a God-shaped hole in their spirits. Unlike Aslan, who thinks religion of most any type can fill that hole, I think that believing in Jesus Christ is the only way that hole can be filled.


Jesus said “I am the way, the  truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but through me" (John 14:6). When we come to understand the truth of that statement, then we have really uncovered the mystery of faith.

---------------


Dr. Terry W. Dorsett has been a pastor, church planter, denominational leader and author in New England for more than 20 years. He is a happy husband, a proud father and adoring grandfather. He is a cancer survivor and believes that God works powerfully through times of suffering. He writes extensively and you can find all of his books at:

No comments:

Post a Comment