Monday, April 23, 2012

A New Generation Seeks the Lord

God is doing something significant in the lives of young people in Vermont. Though the vast majority of them have grown up without any kind of meaningful connection to a Bible teaching church, they seem hungry for spiritual connection. Several churches across our state are seeing not only larger attendance in their youth ministries, but they are seeing a deepening of understanding and growing commitment to the things of God.

Last week I taught over 70 teens in Central Vermont about the concept of worship. To be honest, I chose the subject because two lay leaders had been working with a group of teens to form a new worship band. The band was to debut for a gathering of teens and I was concerned that the teens might not respond well since they knew nothing about worship. As I prepared, I tried to think of creative ways to teach about worship, but I must admit I was a bit skeptical about whether they would really be able to grasp the concepts. To my amazement, they not only grasped, but they embraced concepts such as: worship being focused on God, not ourselves; worship being something we do both privately and corporately; worship being something we not only feel but respond to; and worship being beneficial to all aspects of our lives, not just Sunday morning.

One young man approached me afterwards and said “When I went to church more often, I used to feel what you were talking about. Now I don’t.” Knowing some of the current challenges in his life, I simply asked him, “Who do you think moved, you or God?” He lowered his head and whispered, “Me.” We then had a great discussion about how he could re-center his life around the Lord once again. Pray for this young man, and hundreds of others like him across Vermont who are sensing the powerful pull of God’s Spirit to a deeper walk with the Lord.

Dr. Terry Dorsett

Dr. Dorsett's book, Mission Possible: Reaching the Next Generation through the Small Church, details many of the methods God is using to help churches in Vermont reach the next generation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment