Tuesday, June 19, 2012

REPORTING FOR DUTY - Guest Post by Chris Beltrami

2 Timothy 2:4  “No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, so that he may please Him who enlisted him as a soldier.”

Towards the middle of a great sermon, Terry Dorset said the words, “reporting for duty”.   It stirred my spirit and has provoked the following great “life” questions (with some provisional answers):


Is it a good thing for us to “report for duty”?          Yes

Is this really a “soldier” kinda thing?       Kinda

What exactly are we reporting to God for?      To know Him

What is our duty?         To love & serve

What is our purpose?           Ditto

Really?     That’s what it says

Matthew 5:13-15   “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.”


It’s rather odd, but by God’s design, He has chosen us to “help” to share His great love and message of eternal life.  


I think that’s part of my duty.  Do some salting!  Do a little lighting! It’s what I report for each morning - not to moan and groan, stumble and bumble through the day, but rather to know God and to follow up with some loving and some serving.  

Here are a few more questions that I had.   I added some multiple-choice answers for your amusement and interaction.   Please check one J:


1.     Do I actually “report for duty”?    __ Yes,  __ No,  __ Sometimes


2.     How soon after I wake up do I say, “Good Morning, Lord!” 


__ Soon, __ Late, __ Not at all, __ Other   


3.     Is it possible for me to go long times without acknowledging His presence? 


__ Hours,  __Days,  __ Weeks, __ Months, __ I Dunno.

For me - I want to spend each day talking with God.   I want to share His love with all the people that He sends my way. And, I want to scatter some important seeds of “hope” to anyone who feels sad, depressed, or discouraged.

You wanna try something with me?  Wake up tomorrow and say, ”Good morning, Lord.   It’s me!   And, I’m reporting for duty.”  

We might activate a wonderful new habit.


This post was originally published on June 18, 2012 in "Think About It," a devotional guide that Chris Beltrami publishes weekly. It is republished here with his permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment