Monday, January 12, 2015

Emotional Orphans

I recently listened to a reporter on the nightly news interview a mother with a severely handicapped child. She said her greatest struggle was that she often felt alone. Very few people could understand her unique situation and that frequently left her isolated emotionally and physically. Over the years of my ministry, I have met many people who faced challenging life circumstances. That sense of loneliness seems to be a common experience.

Though we all have different challenges to endure, we can all acknowledge that life is sometimes hard. In those moments, we may feel all alone in the world. One person expressed that feeling this way; she said “I feel like emotional orphan without a family to love me.” Many of us have felt that way at some point or another. Our loneliness and isolation can become like shackles that hold us back and rob us of the peace and comfort that we need to thrive. In those moments it is good to remember what Jesus said in John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." Jesus also said “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid” (John 14:27).

Troubles and difficulties will always be part of life. Knowing that we are not alone, that we are not orphans without a Heavenly Father to care of us, brings comfort in the midst of trials. Having a strong connection with Jesus gives us peace in the midst of pain and lifts our hearts when we are troubled.

Those of us who know Jesus have experienced this comfort and peace many times but still need to be reminded of them in our moments of travail. Those who do not know Jesus often long for the peace He offers though they may not be able to express that desire in theological words. If you do not know Jesus, turn to Him today. Open your heart and mind to His love and commit to follow Him for the rest of your life. Receiving Jesus does not mean that all our problems will go away, but it does mean that we will no longer be spiritual orphans in this world.

---------------------------------------------------------


Terry Dorsett has been a church planter and author in New England for more than 20 years. He is a happy husband, a proud father and adoring grandfather. He is a cancer survivor and believes that God works powerfully through times of suffering. Find all of his books at:
http://www.amazon.com/Dr.-Terry-W.-Dorsett/e/B00405U4NY

1 comment:

  1. Pamela Copeland JohnstonJanuary 13, 2015 at 11:21 AM

    Thank you Terry. For over 30 years I took care of my handicapped daughter Mary. She needed 24/7 care because of her seizures and mental age was around 3 to 4. This article speaks the truth. There are times when you feel all alone. If it wasn't for my faith, and my church family I don't think I would have I would have made it. My verse that got me through was Matt 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

    ReplyDelete